Thursday, January 27, 2011

Nomad Chronicals

For the last few days I've been just relaxing. Sitting on the lake shore reading a book, writing a little and catching up on e-mails. I feel like I've been moving constantly, and haven't stopped in one place long. It's like when all my friends left me in Mozambique, I was shot out of a cannon into the life of freedom on the road. Like a squeezed watermelon seed, I shot north as if my tail was on fire. At first I possessed a small amount of regret, thinking that I wasn't traveling like a true backpacker; slowly going from place to place, seeing everything, not worrying about time. I've finally come to terms however, and concluded that I didn't want to or couldn't change. Sometimes, filled with excitement and exhilaration, I feel like a kid with ADHD in a candy store. If I'm in an area, and I do what there is to do, see what there is to see, and am still not compelled to stick around for a long time, whats the harm in moving on? So far all the places I've visited are awesome, but maybe not to the extent that I feel obligated to stay for a year. Tofo is paradise, but is it better than Zanzibar? How about Dahab, or anywhere else for that matter that I plan on seeing? I have major urges to find out for myself. It doesn't help when everywhere I go I meet travelers who say "If you think it's nice here, wait until you this place". Maybe the grass is always greener on the other side for me, or maybe I thirst for the next adventure, but either way I tend to get bored if I hang around a place to long. Something big has to happen for me to hang around a place for a long spell. Who knows, maybe the cheap and great diving in Dahab will do it.
When I find myself wondering why I am still in a place, I realise it is probably just so no one can say I wasn't there long enough to know much about it. Well now I don't care anymore, and am determined to do whatever suits my fancy at the moment. As long as I stick to my budget, what's wrong with that? A few people told me that since I have all the time in the world, I should move slow and take it all in. Spend more time in each place, so you save more money. Now that I think about it, that doesn't make much sense. If I am planning on going north anyway, isn't it cheaper to spend nights on buses, instead of hostels? Plus, Africa is expensive, and I'm going to the cheapest places on earth after Africa, Southern Asia, so in a way I'm saving money getting there sooner. The way I see it, if i get my fill of a place, then no reason not to move on. Hell I could of spent a year in South Africa and still not have seen it all. This trip is not as much about seeing every inch of every country, but enough of many countries.

No comments:

Post a Comment